Mascara removal is sometimes a double-edged sword. You love it because it lets your eyes relax and calm down but at the same time, you hate it because the process itself isn’t as easy and simple as it sounds.
Mascaras contain mixtures of waxes, oils, pigments, and water, making them hard and tricky to take off. While you can always use a makeup remover to deal with your mascara, every single swipe of the remover also exposes your skin to the high concentrations of the many toxic ingredients they contain.
Makeup removers, despite being handy, can make your sensitive skin dry and even irritated. The good news is that there are now many ingredients and items that can get the job done right just like store-bought makeup removers. These alternatives are even more affordable sometimes.
Best Way to Remove Mascara without Makeup Remover
Removing mascara without using a makeup remover can be a bit of a hassle, but there are some great ways to do it. Some people prefer to use warm water and a washcloth, while others use eye makeup removers. Here are 6 of the best ways to remove mascara without using a makeup remover:
Baby lotion is the first product you can turn to if you are prone to irritation or have sensitive skin. This is a great substitute for traditional makeup removers which are often drying and harsh on your skin.
Read This Next:
Baby lotion products are meant to be gentle on your skin, allowing you to remove your mascara without causing any unwanted irritation.
To use baby lotion for removing mascara, simply follow the steps below:
- Get a small amount of baby lotion then rub this between the tips of your fingers.
- Apply the lotion directly on your lashes.
- Use circular motions when moving your fingers to help break up your mascara.
- Wipe it off with a washcloth or cotton pad before you cleanse your face.
You might have been using those handy makeup-removing wipes every time you take cosmetics off your face. These wipes are popular because they are quick and easy to use, and you can even take them anywhere you go.
Baby wipes are great alternatives that you can consider, and you can use these in place of traditional wipes. These baby wipes are gentler and also tend to be more suitable for people with sensitive skin. To make things even better, baby wipes are also cheaper.
- Take one piece of baby wipe out of its packing then adjust the size. Remember that baby wipes are larger than regular makeup wipes so you might need to fold them several times or cut them in half first.
- Wipe the cloth gently over your mascara.
- Remove all the leftover mascara by rubbing in circular motions.
- Throw away the cloth after you more all traces of mascara.
Cold creams have seen many uses through the years, from lip balm to foundation primer, and even body lotion. But one unexpected way of using cold cream is to let it double as your alternative makeup remover.
Read This Next:
The combination of the ingredients in cold cream can work well not just in removing makeup but also in calming inflamed skin.
- Place a small quantity of cold cream directly on your fingers.
- Be sure to close your eyes first then rub the cream carefully over your eyelashes.
- Use a wet washcloth to wipe off the product.
- Dab a dry and clean towel over the area to get rid of any excess water.
Plant-based Cooking Oils
As many of you might already know, oil has lots of uses when it comes to skincare and haircare. One of these is the fact that it is also one of the effective ways to melt away that stubborn mascara.
Using either coconut or olive oil is the simplest and cheapest method for mascara removal. Oils are less greasy, don’t clog pores, and even nourish your skin with a lot of valuable minerals and vitamins. Unlike mascara removers that are filled with chemicals, these oils are natural products that don’t contain toxic chemicals that can be dangerous for your skin.
- Wet a piece of cotton ball with your choice of oil. If you are using coconut oil, see to it that it is in liquid form.
- Press the cotton ball gently against your closed eyelid for a few seconds.
- Wipe the cotton ball carefully.
- Repeat the procedure several times until all traces of mascara are removed.
Most of the time, olive oil is your best choice in most instances.
Read This Next:
Petroleum jelly, specifically Vaseline, is another product you can use for removing mascara. it is a hidden gem that might have been sitting in your home’s medicine cabinet all this time.
This product can work wonders in transforming your nightly routine. Aside from being dubbed as the best mascara remover out there, Vaseline is also efficient, hydrating, and affordable. If this is not enough, you can also use Vaseline not just to remove mascara but also to make your lashes grow thicker over time.
- Dab a swab of cotton into Vaseline.
- Run the cotton swab along your eyelash line and on your lashes to help break up the mascara.
- Use a washcloth or cotton pad to wipe the product away.
- Wash your face like you usually do.
Yogurt or Milk
These two might not be the first ingredients that come to mind but dairy items such as yogurt and milk are found to help effectively remove not only mascara but also eyeliner.
You can use milk to hydrate your skin and get rid of stubborn products. You just need plain yogurt or whole milk and a cotton ball for this procedure.
- Dip a cotton ball into yogurt or milk.
- Swipe the cotton ball lightly across your eye area.
- Repeat the process until you remove all mascara.
- Rinse it off with lukewarm water.
The next time you grab your mascara tube, you don’t have to worry about removing it later with a makeup remover. With these natural alternatives, you can simply relax at night knowing that your lashes are happy and healthy.